Frequently asked Questions (FAQ)
- What does Poorna Maha Meru mean?
Poorna indicates fullness or completeness.Mount Meru is considered as the sacred peak in eastern traditional cosmology is considered to be the center of all the physical, metaphysical and spiritual universes.
Similarly, Mahameru also refers to the symbol indicating the complete universe in the eastern traditions. We blend eastern philosophy with the ideas from the west to drive our organizational projects.
- What are your core activities?
- Our free old age home called “Thriveni Nivas” takes in senior citizens above 60 years of age and who have no children to take care of them. We support them in all possible ways till their last. The final rites of the elders are also performed by the trustees.
- We also have a paid old age home called “Shanti Nivas” which is run on a subsidized basis for senior citizens who can afford to meet the minimum expenses.
- “Sri Matha Annadanam Scheme” – Our Free food programme is run in our premises and anyone who steps in hungry is offered food in the mornings and evenings.
- “Sri Narayana Guru Leprosy Mission” – We visit few of the 8+ leprosy homes around Chennai once a month and distribute free food. We also provide them dresses, Utensils or any items they may need.
- “Dhanvantri Medical Assistance Scheme “ – We have a medical centre with a visiting doctor and a permanently stationed nurse to cater to the needs of the senior citizens. The people living nearby are given any basic medical aid.
- “Sri Abhinava Vidhya teertha Educational Scholarship” – For students coming from economically poor background or children of Leprosy affected, we sponsor the school or college fees to the extent possible. Around 7-8 students from remote villages are staying with us to pursue their education in Chennai.
- Support staff working in our organization are provided assistance in education of their children and in their medical expenses.
- We support in kind (vessels, Dress) for couples getting married from extremely poor families.
- We also undertake distribution of free food outside our premises. This could be on special occasions such as Diwali,Pongal or natural calamities such as during Chennai floods or Vardhah Cyclone etc.
- How can I reach Sri Poorna Mahameru Trust?
Our old age home is around 3 kms from Pallavaram suburban railway station in south Chennai. You can take an auto or a minibus from there. S1 mini bus has a stop just outside our premises.
- Do I get a tax rebate for donations?
Yes. Donations are tax exempt under section 80G of Income tax Act.
- How do I donate from abroad?
You can donate via our partner Omprakash or you can do a wire transfer to our bank account directly. Details of both are provided in the “Donations” link in our website.
- What is FCRA?
FCRA is the approval from Ministry of Home Affairs,India to NGOs to receive funds from outside India. Our FCRA number is 075901018.
- Can we donate in kind?
Yes. Our major requirement is groceries & vegetables. The list of groceries required by us is provided on our website. We also have a tie up with http://www.maligakadai.com/ . You can order via their site and get groceries delivered to us.
- I have donated to one day’s lunch. Can I come in person and serve the elders?
You are definitely welcome to come and serve. You can also have your lunch along with the elders. Kindly ensure you come by 11:30 AM. There will be a prayer by the elders for the well-being of that day’s donor and also for the welfare of the entire universe to be free from hunger. Prayer will be followed by the lunch.
- How do I volunteer for your organization?
Please fill in this form. We will get in touch with you
- Do you welcome CSR programmes?
Several large and small organizations have run their Corporate Social Responsibility programmes with us. Please reach out to us, we will be more than happy to support.
- What is the eligibility criteria for admission in old age home?
- Senior citizens only ( Above 60 years)
- Preference will be given to senior citizens without any children
- Not mentally challenged – As per government norms we cannot admit them, there are separate organizations for mentally challenged people